Friday, October 2, 2009

Peru is known all over South America for its delicious food. Because it's right next to the ocean, there are a lot of seafood dishes. The most famous one is called ceviche which consists of pieces of raw fish soaked in lemong juice, onions and a spices. The acid in the lemon juice penetrates the fish and actually cooks it. The flavors in ceviche are like nothing I've ever tasted before. Each bite is an EXPLOSION of flavors...fresh fish right out of the sea, the sour TANG of lemon juice and the BAM of raw onions, and whatever spice they use to kick things up a notch. That was a fun dish to try out for the first time.

Another fun thing to eat in Peru is....guinea pig. I heard about this traditional Peruvian dish, and though that I might as well try it before I leave. The word for guinea pig is cuy (pronounced cooee). Check out this short video I made as evidence that I actually ate a cute, cuddly, fried animal.

No comments:

Post a Comment